The following are my top tips for restoring harmony and defusing potential conflict issues:
- Plan things in advance; think about the goal of the conversation and the words you will use. What does the other person need?
- Is it the right time for this conversation? If you’re both too angry, pause and delay the conversation until you’re both calmer and able to think more rationally.
- Stay calm and be open to the other person’s point of view.
- Share perspectives on what the issue is. What are the facts, what are the feelings and perceptions of all people involved?
- Express yourself without assigning blame. Listen to the other person without trying to defend yourself and criticising them.
- Work together to problem-solve. Ask questions like “What do you think we should do about this?” and “What will make this easier for both of us?”
Click here to view a PDF of the article.